Tuesday, 3 April 2007

Knives for the Kitchen

Choosing a Knife for the Kitchen
Chefs and Knives
I have a friend who was a chef, he's now a social worker. Strange change in career. He used to cook fantastic meals when my wife and I visited. I would often watch as he prepared, sharpening knives, testing the knife's edge, all the usual chef stuff.

One particular day I happened to pick up his cooks knife, which was always kept in a cloth roll along with all his other knives.
I have never felt intimidated by him, he's a really nice guy. But as soon as I touched that knife I realised that somehow I had stepped over a line of friendship. He positively growled at me, "Put the knife down, and don't touch it again!" I quickly complied and walked off to let him calm down, after all he had a bag of knives, very sharp knives.

I often reflected on that day, I asked him why he'd been so upset. The reason is that they were his knives, no one else should touch them.

I recently walked down the high street in Horsham in Surrey, as I wandered past a kitchenware shop window, I noticed there were some beautiful knives on sale. The prices ranged from $150 - $290 pretty expensive steel by anybodies standards. I couldn't resist going in to look at them. They were Hamsa if I recall. The fact is that they felt fantastic. The sense of craftmanship used in the construction of these knives was obvious. I knew though even if I purchased it, I would not use it. Why?

I could choose the knife, but my best knife is my Sabatier 10" cooks knife, my wife purchased for me 15 years ago. I love it! It handles brilliantly and keeps its edge really well, but the real factor for me is the balance [ you cannot balance it where the handle meet ] all the weight is in the blade, it's a heavy beasty, that can take your fingers off easily. I think it's perfect, others would not agree. Too heavy, badly balanced and a whole host of other things may make it the knife from hell. I feel just like my friend about that knife. It's my knife.

You need to bear in mind when you purchase your knives, they are 'your' knives, not some high class chef's. They are personal, your friend in the kitchen.

I have lots of knives, paring knives, carvers, cleavers, however, I stick with my Sabatier., I use it for almost everything. I paraphrase the sentiments that you see expressed in so many 'grunt 'movies...
This is my knife, there may be others like it... none are like this one,"

Chose your knife, carefully and slowly, it will in all probability be with you a long time.

No comments: